Wednesday 24 October 2012

Corruption. Ugh.

Folks, welcome back, glad you are here!

Dan and I were quite the clowns!

This morning we talked about corruption. Dan and I were in an intermediate English as a Second Language (ESL) class with 14 students and Cara, one of our Nav staff who recently moved here to Lubango, Angola to help out with the work here.

Cara introduced the topic and posed 9 questions about corruption, such as who does it, where does it happen, is it useful, etc. We paired up and discussed this with several different partners. I met with Americo and Gustavo and they had some great ideas!

Nobody likes it. Everyone in the room felt it is damaging. sometimes we as Canadians can be critical of parts of the world where it is obvious and prevelant.

Yet Dan and I found ourselves acting out a skit to explain the term, "Paying Under the Table". We had fun, all of us laughed, but I also wondered about what I personally can do about this significant problem. As I write this, I thought it would be wonderful to congratulate this great effort of tying significant cultural content to the noble goal of learning another language. I think I will!

and I want to make a couple of requests of you:
1. Pray that this great institute, Know How, would continue to make noble contributions to Angolans who want to make a difference where they are
2. Pray for the Nation of Angola, to make courageous steps in addressing this in their own nation
3. Think about where you run into corruption in your own circles. Do something about it! Ask yourself how you can be a man or woman of integrity, humility and honour in our family, neighbourhood and workplace!

Here is Janet with Dan, discussing their work in construction, seeking to provide quality materials at just prices, making a solid profit, creating employment, quality construction, working against corruption!

God's best, 
Irv.

1 comment:

  1. Irv,
    I am overwhelmed at your experience and even more overwhelmed at how Christ's example has spread so far around the world. I really shouldn't be surprised as I have encountered God moving mountains in my own life. God be with you all and continue his work. Your work reminds of 2 Timothy 4: 2

    Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

    It's nice to see his word alive and living.

    ReplyDelete