Sunday 14 October 2012

We made it!

We made it!
Three flights, 21 hours in the air, 4 hours in airports, and we arrived, picked up by our taxi driver who had our names on a piece of paper, ready and waiting for us. Great trip, although a sudden surge led me urgently to the bathroom on the flight from Montreal to Brussels
Yesterday was a day of seeing amazing compassion expressed into significant need. Pastor Isaac picked us up at the CHAK Guest House and took us on a 45 minute drive North to Kijabe to visit the Bethany Kids Program at the Kijabe Hospital. It was a thrill to see this dedicated group of people investing their lives in beings some might say were too small or insignificant to warrant such effort.
Bethany Kids is a program specialized to care for children and their families where the child has Spinal Bifida Hydro encephalitis. Mr. Justus, who completed a Masters in Medical Administration, previously Director of the Hospital, and now administrator for Bethany Kids, gave us the tour.
Both Pastor Isaac and Mr. Justus told us of the cultural change they are working hard to precipitate, where the affected child is worth all the investment that can be mustered to not only improve the quality of life, but also to see the great contribution that a child with a disability can make to the family, the neighbourhood, the society, and the Kingdom of God.
It reminded me of a couple of verses in Isaiah 56 where it says:
4 For GOD says: "To the mutilated who keep my Sabbaths and choose what delights me and keep a firm grip on my covenant,
5 I’ll provide them an honored place in my family and within my city, even more honored than that of sons and daughters. I’ll confer permanent honors on them that will never be revoked.
In the photo: Dan McIver, Pastor Isaac, Mr. Justus, myself, and Chris Barrett taking the photo

No comments:

Post a Comment