Monday 29 October 2012

Saturday Night Alive! No, really Communites of Grace!

It was our last night in Lubango.

The four cell groups, led by Piries, Pedro, Tanino and Jojo were all meeting together. In our honour, and to be able to be together, they held a BBQ and a lengthy evening of conversation, teaching, preaching and interaction.

I found myself surprisingly frustrated. They were all playing this game where you close your eyes, and the leader appoints 5 people - two assasins, two  police, and an angel. The appointed people know who they are, but no one else. And they the group has to figure out "who dunnit"! All in Portuguese. It dragged on and on. Sigh.

Finally it was time for me to preach and teach. I went to the front where the whiteboard was, did my intro, and the markers didn't work. Sigh.

So, Piries translated for me and all gave me their rapt attention. I talked of my great upbringing, my frustration in my mid-teen years of having my life defined by milking cows when what I really wanted was to become that close to girls rather than bovines (some good laughs). Also how I needed to create some distance between my Father and I and how I did so creating pain, distance and isolation between us.

Further we worked through 2Corinthians 5:21 where it says:

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.


He took upon and up-into Himself, our sin, embodied this, and took it to the cross and the grave. When I put my faith in Him, He takes His Righteousness, Perfection, and moral excellence and places that into us! What a Great Exchange!

So, as I spoke, and saw the Grace of God blossom into this group, I became frustrated once again, only now with myself. What I experienced as slowness, boring, silly before, was really part of creating an environment where people were attended to, cared for, and enjoyed.

How did I know? 8 persons of the 50 raised their hands, indicating they wanted Christ to be Lord of their Lives. And Crystal, along with Pedro as interpreted, prayed to receive Christ with me right then and there.


So, what's the big deal? Irv's message? Somewhat. A funny game about justice? Moreso. People who know how to love God and People and do so lavishly? YOU BET! This is the fuel the Holy Spirit uses to advance His Kingdom!

Just like a BBQ brings people together, the fragances wafting to sniffing palates, the Love, Acceptance, Enjoyment, Anticipation and Grace extended brought this group of people together for four hours!

My frustration? It melted away and became joy, celebration and thanksgiving!

May our lives emulate this great group of people in Lubango, Angola!

No comments:

Post a Comment